Sunday, March 20, 2011

Dinosaur Review!!!!!

Just finished reading Chuck Klostermann's latest book, "Eating the Dinosaur," and I figured I needed to take a blog post to review it.




You see, I read (and buy) Chuck Klostermann books to learn his insightful views on pop culture.  And man, they are good.  If I had to describe his writing style, I would call it "pretentious, but with every right to be."

My friend, Nico, first introduced him to me back in 2005(?), letting me borrow what was probably his most famous novel at the time - Sex, Drugs & Cocoa puffs - and after reading just a few chapters, I had to say I was hooked.
 
But what often happens after reading a Klostermann book is a period of self-loathing because I realize that I do some of the things he states are "idiotic."

(In the case with this book, it's "putting exclamation marks at the end of unremarkable sentences in blogs to indicate my "ironic self-awareness" - read Chapter 10, "Ha ha, he said.  Ha ha") 


But what I've realized lately after reading Chuck Klosterman's essays is that he's: a) criticizing things that everybody seems to enjoy while b) simultaneously defending things that nobody else loves; and c) purposely arguing controversial opinions (like agreeing w/the Unabomber's opinion of technology) to get a rise out of his readers

And I'm getting the feeling that he has these opinions so he can:

a) sell books;
b) feel superior to everyone else.

But this is a guy who used to laugh into his TV because he thought TV sitcom laugh tracks were the actually the laughter of other people laughing from their homes.  (same chapter) 

So maybe I need to start taking his opinions with a grain of salt and not feel so bad when he thinks certain things are inane.

Incidentally,  I have a feeling that the overuse of exclamation marks to indicate self-awareness came from the popular Dinosaur Comics! - another piece of literature that I respect for it's intelligence and unique insights (in an ironic sort of way)!   


See!

No comments: