Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Keeping in Touch

I have a tendency to run into a lot people I used to know at one time or another.

The biggest category of people I meet are usually “old classmates from College.” And since I liked most of them, I usually stop and say hi so we can catch up. And sooner or later, they always ask the same question: 


“So, do you keep up with anyone
else from College?”

This always struck me as an odd question to ask because:  yeah, of course I do. 


It just seems to me that, if you go to a school in a city as big as Los Angeles, you’re going to have a few friends who decide to stick around. And these are the people who you’ll end up hanging out with while you’re there because hey - they’re still around.

These are also the people who will listen to you complain as you look for your first job; who will help you move into that first apartment when you’re too poor to afford to hire movers; who you can ask to be your roommate so you can both save money on rent; and who will even show up to that party you’re throwing over the weekend – with a case of beer in hand.


Also -  there’s really no excuse for you not to in this day and age of social media / free networking.

But I guess a lot of people don’t realize that as they go off to try and make it in the real world because I keep hearing that question.

I make it a point to keep in touch with the friends I’ve made over the years because friendship *is* something that gets easily taken for granted.  

- My friends from high school always get a call to let them know I’m coming back home.
- Saturday mornings are usually reserved for Coffee w/Carol.
- I comment on people’s blogs whenever they make a post.
- Facebook friends who live far away always receive “Happy Birthday” wall-post from me.

They do the same. And we stay connected. It’s simple, see?

In fact – staying in touch with Fred gave me a place to stay when I visited Japan!

What about you all?
Do you keep in touch with old friends?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may be biased since I'm already in your social circle of college friends, but I wonder about other people's circles not having such an easy time staying connected.

Maybe we're an indication of the future?

Stoodert said...

I hope so - but what I've been noticing lately is that people our age tend to focus on their own lives and tend to value their independence; the idea of "communties" seems more out-dated....but hopefully, it's making a comeback.

Also - I just realized how snobby I sound in this post. :-\