Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"So How was Hawaii??"

Did I mention on this blog that I went back home to Hawaii yet? 

I go back every year around Christmas to visit my family and old friends from high school who still live on the island.  I always have a great time catching up with people and reminiscing about the ‘good ole days’ when we were young and stupid, er….not as mature as we are now. 

But whenever I tell people here (“on the mainland”) that I’m going back home to Hawaii, they bring it up ad nauseum. 

“So, are you excited to go back to Hawaii??” 
“When are you going to Hawaii??” 
“Are you counting the days?” 

And here’s the thing about being asked the same question over and over again; after a while, you start to lose your enthusiasm for the topic.  In a way, it’s kind of like being bombarded with the same piece of news over and over again….! 

Until, eventually, I got sick of people asking.  And it’s the same thing when I get back…..! 

“So how was Hawaii?” 
“Did you go surfing??” 
“You look so tan!” 
“Was it fun?” 
“Did you have fun?”

And usually that’s when they look at me expectantly, waiting for me to give them their vicarious thrill-fix.  (My stories usually disappoint them)   

Don’t get me wrong – going back home is *always* great.  Christmas is a time for family and I appreciate being able to come home a lot.  But, to me, Hawaii isn’t some exotic place where I can be adventurous and try new things; it’s not that kind of vacation.  I go back to visit family and reconnect with friends.  In fact, when I go home, that’s pretty much *all* I want to do. 

That and eat the “ono food”….it was probably the one thing I didn’t get sick of talking about! 

I even made a list of all the food I wanted to eat as soon as I got back, entitled “THING TO EAT IN HAWAII:    

-          Shave Ice
-          Mochiko chicken
-          Curry house curry
-          Zippy’s Chili
-          Ahi Poke
-          Jello cream pie

I’m glad to say I finished the list. 





*NOM* *NOM* *NOM


2 comments:

-∆ said...

I support your zippy's fried chicken and chili.

P.S. Move to the goddam Pacific Northwest.

Anonymous said...

Maybe when people ask you how Hawai'i was, you should answer: "Delicious!"

Because I think that's an answer that works for both natives and visitors. I mean, everyone eats.

But did you go surfing? :P