Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Internet-dependent thinking?

Do you ever wonder if we rely too much on the internet to "look up" stuff? 

It's pretty easy, if you think about it - someone asks you a question; just google it. 
....or look it up on Wikipedia;

or god-willing, we can even Ask Jeeves. 

And while we all know by now that we should double-check all the info we get from online resources (so sayeth the English major in me), how often do we remember what we look up? 

I ask because in the past week, my co-workers and I have looked up random trivia online, only to forget it later that day. 

- once when my co-worker had to look up who the Lindbergh baby was.  (she forgot it that afternoon)
- and another time today where I looked up if Jehovah's witnesses celebrate birthdays (they don't)

I didn't consider it a big deal at the time, but I was driving home from work today when I tried *again* to remember if Jehovah's witnesses celebrate birthdays (turns out they don't!), I started to wonder if we take all this available-at-your-fingertips information for granted and don't really bother to learn it. 


Kind of makes me appreciate all the studying I had to do in school.  (Or maybe I just have early onset Alzheimers). 

4 comments:

Carey Anthony said...

So are you implying we would remember those facts more if we didn't look them up on the internet or that we have so much readily available information to look up now, we can't possibly retain it all?

Stoodert said...

Well, I just think that we (subconsciously?) don't bother to remember things anymore because we know we can just look it up again.

Anonymous said...

Come to think of it, it's probably best we try not to remember these things and thank computers for remembering them for us. The modern era really stretches brains pretty thin as it is.

So, thank you Google and Wikipedia.

Jeeves, I don't even know you. *leers*

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.