Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Selfish Kids"

I wanted to write a more “fun” post since my last four have been (semi) serious, but I’m dealing with a lot of stupid drama right now and my mind just can’t focus on anything fun right now.

And since I make it a rule not to blog about drama (of any kind) I’m just gonna ask for your two cents on a debate I had with a friend of mine.

I asked this friend if he ever wanted to have kids (someone earlier had asked me this and I wanted to get other people’s opinions) and he told me that, while he wanted kids, he preferred to adopt rather than have kids of his own.

When I asked him why he wanted to adopt, he replied that he thought bringing a child into this world when there are so many kids already without parents would be selfish.

This struck a chord with me (because it sounded like he felt there was something wrong with that) so I told him that I thought he was wrong: having a child isn’t selfish; it’s a natural & reasonable desire.

He relented a little, saying that maybe “selfish” was too strong of a word, but he insisted that having children served no other purpose than their own self-serving desire to have kids. Adopting, on the other hand, can spare a child from the foster-care system and improve two lives instead of adding one more to this over-populated earth.

I reiterated that wanting a child of your own but he kept insisting that it was only selfish / self-serving. I wanted to argue otherwise but, not really wanting kids myself, I couldn’t think of a way to diffuse his logic. (I know it’s flawed, but I just can’t see how!) Every other person I’ve asked has said they wanted them for “selfish” reasons too; they all basically wanted a little version of themselves to leave behind after they died.

(Interesting side note – Socrates (or Plato writing as Socrates) argued that having children was a way of achieving immortality and that this was the whole biological purpose of love – survival of the species. He also argued that another way of achieving this same kind of immortality was to be remembered as having thought of a great idea)

After thinking about it for a while, I can only come up with one reason to have your own child that isn’t entirely self-serving – to please your parents by giving them grandchildren.




I guess they *are* kind of cute, aren't they?

Anyway, as I said before, I just wanted to ask for your two cents with this post - what do you all think about having kids? Is it "selfish" / "self-serving" to want kids of your own? Is it wrong to be selfish in that way?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wanting to have our own kid is programmed in your brain. That's what all the living creatures do.
I don't think it's selfish. It's just the way it is.

Adoption can happen in a natural world with wild animals, but I guess for human it's more than a maternal sense matter.
I personally think that adoption is in a way "selfish" thing. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against adoption. I think it's a great thing for kids in unfortunate situations.
But I feel sometimes it happens because it's a trend
(celebrities adopting from poor country as if it's a "cool" thing to do) or maybe little bit of "I'm doing a great thing" to make them feel better?(excluding the cases with parents with fertility problem)

I'm not sure if I'm making sense and I hope I don't offend anybody...

Stoodert said...

Makes sense to me!

Jamie said...

Given the idea I haven't completely decided if I really want kids at all!

I think I'd be a bad parent and the thought of that scares me because I don't want to pay for a psychiatrist to treat my kid for the damage I inflicted and on the same hand if the kid ended up in jail or in some worse circumstances I would feel utterly awful.
I applaud people who want kids and have kids. Good job at bringing a piece of yourselves into the world and sacrificing your time,sleep, and other things so your child can have a good life :)