Monday, May 17, 2010

Stop talkin' 'bout my G-g-generation..!

Did you know that Generation Y is also referred to as the “Peter Pan Generation”??



It’s true; I was on Wikipedia the other day and
the term came up while I was reading.

This generation is also sometimes referred to as the “Boomerang Generation” or “Peter Pan Generation” because of their perceived penchant for delaying some of the rites of passage into adulthood longer than most generations before them.

The article (and this wonderella comic) lists several reasons for this (economic downturn, our desire to not repeat the mistakes of generations before us) and doesn’t really place it in either a negative or positive light, but still….

Ouch.

I dunno about you, but I’m a little insulted that we, as a generation, are being perceived as a bunch of kids trying to stay forever young by putting off our ‘rites of passage’ into adulthood.

3 comments:

-∆ said...

What's the age range for Gen Y? Kinda makes sense though. Think of how many times you've heard people say things like, "30 is the new 21." Dunno what the hell that's supposed to mean but it's surely a way of delaying growing up. That said, I think I haven't stepped too far out of line there.

Stoodert said...

I think "Generation Y" is considered anyone born from 1980 to 1989.

Anonymous said...

What rites and why haven't they been clearly identified for us? I can pass my rites if I don't know what they are.