Monday, June 21, 2010

My First Jack & Jill

Now that I’ve had a day for my legs to rest, lemme tell you about the Jack & Jill! 

So I obviously didn’t place / win, (you should’ve seen who entered) but I think it was a good learning experience for the Jack & Jill at Camp Hollywood. There were over 40 dancers (20 couples) competing, so they divided the preliminaries up into two rounds. (I was in the second round)

A couple things I’m going to whine about:
  • The songs they played were a lot faster than the ones they played for the first round.
  • I thought it was a little unfair that some of the “pros” were in this competition with the rest of us amateurs.

But here’s what I learned the Judges look for:

  • “Everyone can dance the basic steps, so do something that will set you apart right away.” (duh, obvious but I didn’t think to do it)
  • “Smile!”
  • “Make your movements big!”
  • “Ask the judges for notes afterwards”

So basically what it boils down to is ‘showmanship.’ It’s technically a performance, so you gotta PERFORM.


(Again, duh – but I didn’t think to do it)

2 comments:

-∆ said...

aww shit

R.E.M. Borja said...

Good on you for entering. Now you'll know what to do for next time.