Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Training for Camp Hollywood

I’ve been making an effort to go out dancing more often in an attempt to train for the “Jack & Jill” competition I signed up for at Camp Hollywood

The competition’s in a few months, so I figured I should get started now. Of course my “training” just consists of me trying to dance with as many follows at as many venues as I can think of & trying to watch / remember / learn as many steps as I can from other dancers.

This will be my first lindy hop competition and I’m not really sure what they’re going to be judging us on other than musicality, form and how well we can improvise with our random partner.

For those of you who don’t know what a “Jack & Jill” competition is, it's:  


…..a competition in partner dancing, where the competing couples are the result of random matching of leaders (male dancers) and follows (female dancers).
Even though it’s one of the larger Swing events in the world, I figured I would sign up for the Jack & Jill at Camp Hollywood because of how less pressure there would be to do well. As many as 30 couples are out on the floor at once and judges can only look at so many people at once. I figure not that many people will be watching me specifically so if I royally embarrass myself, no one will really notice.

I’m actually more worried about signing up for the Jack & Jill this weekend at Third Saturday Swing – it’s advertised as a “Practice Jack & Jill” to prep everyone for Camp Hollywood, but since it’s a smaller venue (where amateurs will be lined up with pros), more people will be watching. (Yikes)

Here’s some videos I found of other “Jack &Jill” competitions to give you an idea of what it’s like.






Oh boy....wish me luck!

1 comment:

-∆ said...

Good luck, dude. I still wish I'd taken up/stuck with swing.