Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Dance Ever-y Day

So I dunno if I've been getting too annoying about this, but it feels like I’ve been blogging an awful lot about swing-dancing. Probably because it’s how I’ve been spending a lot of my free time. (cuz of the upcoming Camp Hollywood so expect to see at least one more after this weekend) 

But what's a couple more blog posts here & there, right?   

Speaking of which - did you know that, if you wanted to, you could go out dancing here in L.A. EVERY NIGHT?

Sundays: Maxwell DeMille’s Cicada Club (Downtown, LA)
$10 cover / free with a dinner reservation
Live bands / Formal Dress code (enforced!)

Mondays: Memories (Whittier, CA)

$3 cover
DJs / all ages

Tuesdays:  Dance @ Joes (Burbank, CA)
No Cover!
Live Band / also on Mondays / 21 & over only

Wednesdays: Strutters Ball (Orange County, CA)
$10 cover
DJ? / tons of workshops & classes

Thursdays: Lindygroove (Pasadena, CA) 
$7 cover
DJ / where I go to dance / all ages

Fridays: Atomic Ballroom (Irvine, CA)
$8.00 cover
DJ & live band (depending)

Saturdays: Pasadena Ballroom Dance Association (Pasadena)

$15.00 cover
Live band / free snacks / all ages


That’s A LOT of places to go to dance – and I don’t think I covered all of them…..! How many other cities (in the world) can even make this claim? 


ALSO – here’s a video I took this past Saturday of some friends who competed in a “Strictly Lindy” competition to prep for Camp Hollywood. (they’re the guy in the white shirt / girl in the blue polka-dot dress)



Also – the gray-haired guy standing in the middle with his arms folded (one of the judges) is our dance teacher.

But as good as they were, I don’t think they were able to compete with some of the pros who were also there. Below is a video from the semi-finals. (Take a look at some of the aerials they do)




I have yet to see a video of me dancing (and show it to me) but I hope one day to get caught on camera…..and look good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't care what you say about practice, these people are superhuman.