Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Not-so-shallow Thought 24

So July hasn't been a particularly blog-worthy month so far. 

My Fourth of July was pretty tame....and the rest of the month looks to be that way too.  I've just been doing lots of reading - which leads to not doing much else. 

And after blogging for so long, I'm afraid I might be getting to that point where I'm starting to repeat myself.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I have (on Xanga). 

But here's one of life's ironies that I hope I haven't touched on yet. 

It strikes me as funny that, in an age as socially progressive / culturally aware as ours, the people who often get offended by different opinions are the very ones who try to preach open-mindedness & sensitivity.
 

I am aware that this is a huge generatlization and that the reason for this is probably due to how much these people encounter ignorance / stubborness.  (i.e. "burnout") 

But snapping at someone and labeling them as "ignorant" doesn't exactly help expand their mind. 

3 comments:

-∆ said...

At my law school, unless you take the most liberal possible position on every issue in class, snobby assholes and bitches will give you dirty looks.

Stoodert said...

Ironically enough though - if people DIDN'T act like this, we might not be as progressive / socially sensitive as we are today!

But yeah - it's just really annoying to be scolded for something you didn't know was wrong in the first place.

Anonymous said...

I think this subject actually warrants further discussion on the grounds that we should find case examples of this hypocrisy. It's rampant. And if it's a problem, what is stopping people from finding a solution?

Also I hate to be a pedant but the 'irony' in the blog post is actual irony while the 'irony' from the comments thread isn't. Thank you, nico the red pen.