Thursday, July 22, 2010

In Person vs. On Paper

Here's a weird contradiction / paraodx I noticed one day while I was talking with someone about how to be persuasive when in a debate. 

This is based on what I learned in High school / college ("on paper") and what I picked up from just talking to people / keeping tabs on elections the past several years.  ("in person") 

HOW TO ARGUE ON PAPER


- USE STRONG LANGUAGE
Stating things as ‘fact’ rather than ‘opinion’ strengthens your argument.
Ex. “Murder IS wrong,” not “I think murder is wrong.”

- DON’T REPEAT YOURSELF
Using the same words / phrases over and over again disrupts the flow of your essay. Keep a thesaurus handy and find ways to say the same thing using different words / phrases.

- KEEP IT IMPERSONAL
Never say “I” or “you” in an essay – it implies bias which the reader may not be able to relate to. Your paper will come off as more subjective, than factual.

- BE AS IN-DEPTH AS POSSIBLE.
The strongest argument is the one with the most evidence supporting it. Use it to the fullest.

HOW TO ARGUE IN PERSON

- USE “I” STATEMENTS
Ex. “I believe, I think, I feel” because you don’t want to sound too judgmental.

- REPEAT YOURSELF
Repeating Key words & phrases in your speech will help your audience remember what your argument is. (Plus, it’s catchy!)

- MAKE IT RELATABLE
A personal story will help the audience relate to you (and sympathize with your argument) better.

- KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID!
People have short-attention spans. They’re not going to remember everything you say unless it’s short (and catchy!) so make sure you don’t go on for too long.

What do you all think?  Am I right?  Wrong?  Did I miss any other similarities?? 

No comments: