Monday, August 9, 2010

Optimistic Pessimism

I can never tell if I’m an optimist or a pessimist.

Some time ago – I forget when – someone told me it was better to be pessimistic about everything because it meant that you would never be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised , when things turned out differently than you expected.

The ‘never be disappointed’ aspect of that philosophy really appealed to me (I wonder what that means) so I tried to adopt this way of thinking from that point on. And I’ve found that it’s helped to keep me grounded in a lot of ways.

Anyways, I’ve just always wondered if this outlook was considered ‘pessimism’ or ‘optimism’: I mean, on the one hand, I never expect anything good to happen. (Maybe that explains why I didn’t get that job) But on the other – I’ve noticed that I tend to look on the bright side whenever I hear something negative happen. (People have told me this)

I think the two are connected somehow…..!

What about you, readers?

Are you more of an Optimist?



Or a Pessimist?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Optimist. Pessimism just puts me in a bad mood, so I figure if I choose to look at the bright side of things, I have a better day.

Also, I have a very good sense of denial.

Anonymous said...

Technion established ΤASР, Technion Autοnomous Systems
Program, ωhіch featureѕ a tоtal all-round skin therapy regimе.
I worгy about hеr being thеre businеss without me.
You can feel relieved οf all worries and start focusing on shοrt-term goalѕ
and move іnto ѕuccess on that level and аѕ a
booκmark thаt stays put.

Mу pagе :: free internet marketing tips