Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Camp Hollywood XIII (2010)

So lemme just tell you how awesome Camp Hollywood XIII was:
VERY MUCH SO.

 
I’m not sure if this year was just an incredibly great year to be there, but Camp Hollywood just meant more to me this time. I think it has something to do with all the friends that I’ve been making while dancing; as I become more involved in the ‘swing scene’ / get to know more about the people who are so active in the community, the events  become more and more significant.

Special thanks go to Nathan, Susan, Alan & Heather for letting me crash at their hotel room in between dances / classes / competitions.

Speaking of which – on to the Competition videos!

Unfortunately, I don’t think I can accurately describe how many people “brought it” this year in words – I’m just not that good a writer.

ALSO unfortunately, there was some rule about not filming the competitions unless you had some kind of “video pass” (which I knew nothing about).

What’s even more discouraging was the fact that my camera decided to crap out on me after only a few pictures (same problem as last time, too!)


But FORTUNATELY, a lot of other people have already uploaded youtube videos from this weekend that I can use!


1st PLACE IN THE TEAM COMPETITION: The Fly-Rites


1st Place (?) for "Showcase" (couples performance):  Patrick & Natasha


SHOWCASE HONORABLE MENTION:  JOEL & VALERIE

Look at how amped the crowd was by their performance.

UNDERGROUND FINALS

If you’re noticing that people are tired in this video, it’s because this contest was held at 2:00AM with even more dancing afterwards. I didn’t got to bed until 4:00AM myself that night.
As for my competition (the amateur Jack & Jill contest), I did about as well as I expected. In other words, I didn’t make it to finals. That’s about as specific as the scoring can get when the judges have to keep score for over 100 people. Either you stand out, or you don’t. I had a lot of fun though, and that was the whole point. 

No comments: