Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A lot on my mind - Housing

Like the title says, I’ve had a lot on my mind lately and I guess this is as good a place to unload my thoughts.

One of the more pressing things I have in the back of my mind is moving – something I really hate doing because of how time-consuming and tedious it is. But Evan is moving out, so I gotta scramble – sooner rather than later – and I’m currently without a plan. They say that finding a place is the hardest part of moving and I think that’s because there are so many questions that come at you all at once, causing you to panic.

These are the thoughts that are causing me to panic:

Where to live? Should I live alone or with a roommate? Can I live alone on my budget? Who am I going to room with if I can’t? How will this affect my (also slow & tedious) volunteering / job hunt? How will I know if I’m paying too much on rent?

Ideally, I would love to move back to Pasadena because it was a great city to me.

• It has the Laemmle / Regency / Paseo
• The Lindygroove / PBDA / Third Saturday Swing are so close-by.
• Gotta love the convenience of Peet’s Coffee & Tea on Lake Avenue
• A lot of my friends live close-by.

But the reason I moved to Glendale in the first place was because living in Pasadena got a little too pricey for me. But a friend of mine recently moved to a rather nice-looking Pasadena apartment in the Playhouse District for not too much of a month’s rent, so I’m hoping I can do the same. It *is* a buyer’s market after all these days….!

SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO LIVE FROM PEOPLE I’VE TOLD
Eagle Rock
Pasadena (by me)
Burbank
Korea town


And take a look at the typo in this email I got from a girl I told at Lindygroove:

Hey Stuart,

Are you still looking for a place to rent? The bedroom in my apt will be free at the end of June for $550.00 not including utilities.


O WILL IT NOW???

6 comments:

-∆ said...

What's the typo? You should add Seattle or Portland to that list.

Stoodert said...

Maybe this isn't as obvious as I originally thought, but the way she words it makes it sound like she's inviting me to go live in her bedroom and pay $550.00 a month to live in it.


.....and I barely know her. Plus, I'd like a little more space than that.

Unknown said...

Where is Evan moving to?
Can't you keep your place by getting another roommate?

Anyway, a friend of mine is looking to move in May/June. He said he wants to live in Eagle Rock/Highland Park area.
Let me know if you are interested in getting in touch with him :-)

R.E.M. Borja said...

I think I remember reading somewhere that a good rule of thumb for what you can afford for rent is 25 to 30% of your monthly income. Of course, in L.A. that's difficult to do. Maybe do a budget of all your expenses and see how much you can really afford.

As for places, there are a lot of affordable places in Koreatown, but it's probably not the most convenient for you. I love Pasadena, too, but it can be pricy, but maybe north Pasadena or Altadena might not be so bad.

Stoodert said...

Evan's moving in with Mahea to find a place of their own.

And I technically COULD just stay here and find a new roommate, but I'm thinking I'd like to find a new place myself.

Also - yeah, sure. I'll give you a call sometime this week and ask you about the details. :-)

Jossica said...

Enjoy Your Water, Enjoy Your Life. We offering all kinds of bathroom sink taps and kitchen taps for you. Check our online store and find your best tap here: www.cheaptap.co.uk