Friday, April 23, 2010

What's it good for?

I meant to post this yesterday, on the simultaneous “Earth Day” & “Take your Daughter to Work Day” (which inspired this post), but missing a day of work (Wednesday) to go get the bottom set of my braces put in really piled up all the work I have to do.

When I chose to be an English Major, I would get asked (as I’m sure all English Majors / English Degree holders do) “what are you going to do with that?


I think people used to ask that because it is a well-known fact that “English Degrees are worthless.” (i.e. “they won’t make you any money”)

This “fact” is well-known because, let’s face it: everybody can write (so there’s no real demand) and even if you are exceptionally talented, there’s not much of a chance that anyone will realize it, much less pay you money do it. So spending a college tuition pursuing an English Degree is, in the long run, considered a big waste of time.

Can you tell I still have kind of a chip on my shoulder about this? Maybe?

The only degree considered more worthless than the English Degree is “the Philosophy degree.” But I don’t really know anything about that.

ANYWAY, I would usually answer people who asked this question (“what’s an English degree good for?” in case you forgot) that it’s actually pretty useful in becoming a Lawyer – because Lawyers spend a lot of time examining text to determine the intent behind the person who wrote it….much like English majors do.

And at one point, I did want to be a lawyer. (I don’t anymore). I spent several summer vacations during my high school / college years working for an Attorney as his assistant filing papers, etc. etc.

This would usually shut them up because another well-known fact is that “lawyers are successful & make lots of money.” But then I came across this (old) blogpost the other day and it appears I have lost one of the best retorts I had to that age old question.

But if you think about it, what good does any College Degree do you these days? Having one doesn’t automatically guarantee you a job because there are quite literally hundreds of other people with the same degree applying for the same position you are. What’s going to separate you from everyone else is what you do on top of having that degree.

So I guess my answer to that question now is “the same you can do with any degree – nothing.” Not to badmouth college degrees—they’re valuable proof that you’re educated and well-read—but I’m of the opinion that, these days, this is all they’re good for.

Keep in mind that I'm just ranting, and please feel free to argue with me otherwise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I chose this post among the recent ones to drop a comment because, as a fellow English Lit. degree holder, I plan on plagiarizing the answer you've provided here. Okay fine, I'll cite my source material. I can't not.