Thursday, April 15, 2010

A lot on my mind - Volunteering

So as some of you may know, I’ve been hoping to “branch out” of my specifically career paths by attempting to volunteer at non-profit organizations. My hope is that, by volunteering I can learn different skills and ‘sample’ different lines of work through my observation and experiences.



I got the idea from someone I met who told me that she only discovered she didn’t want to become an Engineer *after* she got her Engineering degree. She eventually became a volunteer coordinator at a non-profit and gave me her card when I said I’d be interested in helping out.

Unfortunately, I am off to a bit of a rough start as the non-profit this person works for happens to be Christian-based as is reflected in a few loaded questions they make you answer in the volunteer application:

Q: Tell us about your faith.
A: I don’t have one.

Q: How often do you attend Church/mass?
A: Once in the past nine years?

Q: In your opinion, what specifically characterizes a person walking with God?
A: I...don't know?

It also asked me to list the name of my Pastor / Reverend as a personal reference.

I thought about just filling it out anyway and hoping for the best – they can’t deny me from volunteering based on religious differences, can they? – or even asking if my not being Christian (or religious) would be a problem, but then I realized that if I’m taken aback by just the online application, I can only imagine what other things I could take issue with as I go further down the line. So I decided not to do it.

Shame, too. I had high hopes for that one.

Still on my list is the "A Noise Within" Theatre, Visual Communications, and Idealist.org

2 comments:

clearisacolour said...

I don't know if this will help, but my aunt Tiffany is a co-founder for a non-profit called "Shane's Inspiration" based out of burbank... It's basically a group that builds playgrounds that all kids can play in... particulary ones with disabilities.

http://shanesinspiration.org/content/view/21/51/

That's the volunteer page on the site. Just tell them that your Heather's friend (I'm Tiffany's niece)if you choose to go about it.

Stoodert said...

Wow - thanks! I'll definitely check this out.

P.S. See you in June!